The whole world is facing an unprecedented health crisis due to the Covid-19 pandemic. There are more than 87 million cases of coronavirus worldwide and 1.9 million deaths. Discover the situation in various countries concerning the coronavirus pandemic as of Friday, January 8, 2021. Germany is extending its confinement until January 31. The number of new cases every day is exploding in the United Kingdom, with more than 62,000 new cases in the last 24 hours. In Canada, Quebec enters confinement for four weeks as of January 9. The Japanese Prime Minister declares a state of emergency in Tokyo and its suburbs. The USA records more than 4,200 deaths in 24 hours, a new record. The number of new coronavirus cases and deaths in 24 hours is exploding in South Africa.
This Friday, January 8, 2021 the world started the coronavirus counter at 88,678,732 (831,137) cases and a total of 1,917,085 (+15,491) deaths.
In the news:
- The epidemic is expanding in Africa, and the number of new cases and deaths in 24 hours is exploding. In South Africa, there are 1,170,590 (+20,999 ) cases recorded on Friday, January 8, 2021, and 31,809 (+1,285) dead, which is 2.24 times more than the previous record of July 22, 2021. In South Africa, a more "worrying" and "transmissible" variant of the virus has been discovered. The country, which has recorded more than a million cases since the start of the pandemic, once again bans the sale of alcohol and makes the wearing of the mask compulsory for fear of being overwhelmed by the second wave. South Africa hopes for the first vaccines in February and wants to vaccinate 67% of its population in 2021.
- In the United States, the number of new cases every day is still skyrocketing. It now stands at 279,941 infections identified in the last 24 hours, a new record since the start of the pandemic. On Friday, January 8, 2021, the country has 22,131,993 cases. The number of deaths today is 4,235 deaths in 24 hours or 374,124 deaths in total. After the Pfizer and BioNTech vaccine, Moderna's vaccine is also authorized in the United States. The United States records nearly 280,000 new cases and more than 4,200 deaths in 24 hours, two new records.
- In Brazil, the number of new infections remains very high, 87,498 in 24 hours. The country recorded on Friday, January 8, 1,516 deaths in 24 hours and declared 7,967,322 cases in total and 200,637 deaths according to figures given by the government. "Brazil is bankrupt; I can't do anything, "announces President Jair Bolsonaro.
- In Germany, the number of new cases is exploding (+15,639 in 24 hours). The country has 1,878,555 cases identified for 39,614 deaths (+668). The closure of bars, restaurants, cultural and sporting leisure venues, initially scheduled for November 2 to 30, is extended until January 31, 2021, which tightens its measures within particular the closure of schools and non-essential businesses. The country exceeds the 1,600 deaths per day for the first time this Tuesday, January 5, 2021.
- In France, the health authorities' latest report concerning the COVID-19 pandemic reports at least 2,727,321 coronavirus cases in total, including at least 21,703 in the last 24 hours. We count this Wednesday, January 7, 2021, 277 deaths in 24 hours or 66,841 in total. The number of EHPAD and EMS deaths shows a total of 20,302 deaths. The total number of deaths in hospitals is 46,539 (+277 in 24 hours).
- Japan the Covid continued to climb with 6,076 new infections in 24 hours, or the highest number of cases in 24 of the country since the beginning of the epidemic. There are 258,393 cases recorded in total and 3,791 (+72 in 24 hours) deaths this Thursday, January 7. Japan, which faces the third wave, closes its borders to non-resident foreigners from December 28 to late January 2021. The Japanese Prime Minister declares a state of emergency in Tokyo and its suburbs this Thursday, January 7, 2021.
- In Canada, there are 8,153 new cases in 24 hours out of 626,520 in total, a new record since the start of the pandemic, and 16,368 deaths, including 136 since yesterday. Faced with an upsurge in cases, Quebec decrees general confinement of 4 weeks with a curfew from January 9, 2021.
- In the United Kingdom, there are 52,618 new cases in 24 hours, a new record since the start of the pandemic, with 2,889,419 cases in total since the start of the epidemic. The country counts this Thursday, January 7, 2021, 1,162 deaths in 24 hours or 78,508 deaths in total. A mutation of the virus in the south of England worries the British authorities. The UK starts injecting AstraZeneca / Oxford vaccine. After Scotland, England is completely reconfigured and closes its schools until March announces Boris Johnson. Ireland announced new measures of restrictions that January 7, 2021, including the fermeture schools, construction sites, and the "click & collect" for non-core businesses.
- South Korea counts Friday, January 8, 672 new infections and 67,358 cases in total for 1,081 deaths ( 35 in 24). Faced with a third wave even more violent than the previous ones, the country is strengthening the rules of distancing. In the capital, Seoul, the ban on gatherings of more than four people is extended. The national vaccination campaign is expected to start in February.
- Israel has been confined again since December 27, 2020, for at least two weeks following the appearance of 4 cases of the variant of the coronavirus and is launching its vaccination campaign. The country has recorded 474,001 cases in total since the start of the pandemic, including 2,953 in the last 24 hours and 3,565 deaths (+13). The country wants to vaccinate 2 million inhabitants by the end of January. Already more than 10% of the population has received the first injection.
- The number of new cases is rising in China, which reports 53 new cases in 24 hours. The country counted 87,332 in total, and 4,634 (+0) died. Beijing is reconfiguring ten sectors of the Shunyi district following the emergence of 27 new coronavirus cases. A first case of the coronavirus variant is detected in China. China approves its first vaccine produced by Sinopharm, but "under conditions." More than 73,000 Beijing residents were vaccinated against the coronavirus between Friday and Sunday in anticipation of the Chinese New Year.
- Zimbabwe returned again in confinement for the next 30 days this Sunday, January 3, 2021. The country recorded 18,675 cases of coronavirus, which 871 the last 24 hours and counts 446 dead in total since the beginning of the pandemic with 15 yesterday.
- In India, the curve of cases continues to decline steadily. India counts, 10,414,044 confirmed cases (+18,106 in 24 hours) and 150,606 deaths, including 234 in 24 hours. India will produce nearly 100 million doses of Russian vaccine Sputnik V and urgently authori